Skip to main content

My Uzi Weighs A Ton Toro


Wrapper: San Andres maduro wrapper
Binder: Connecticut Capote
Filler: Nicaraguan and Brazilia Mata Fina
Size: Toro
Length: 6
Ring Gauge: 60
Price: $5.83 Retail Price: $9.95
Beverage: Diet Coke
Smoking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Humidor time: 12 days
Purchased: Cigars.com Heavy Hitters Double Stack

Construction: As I unwrapped this toro my first though was "wow, this isn't a cigar, it's a baseball bat"! This stick was simply a beast of a cigar. Taking a close look, the overall construction was nearly perfect, the wrapper contained a couple fine veins, there were no soft or hard spots the entire length. It was just one well put together cigar.
My Uzi Weighs a Ton
Pre-light: Putting the cigar to my nose was a joy, the wrapper had a nice mocha scent as did the foot, only stronger. Tasting the end cap was a bit disappointing as I expected such a nice smelling wrapper to have a nice mocha taste, which it did not. It was actually nearly tasteless.
As the flame jumped from my lighter to the cigar huge plumes of smoke roared from each end filling the room with a nice white cloud. I think this stick produced the most smoke of anything I have smoked and the initial scent was of woody tobacco.

First third:
With the first two puffs the immediate flavor was nearly pure pepper, but then it was gone only to be replaced by notes of toasted nuts and nutty chocolate mocha. As I smoked through the first third all I could thing about was how tasty this cigar is but at the same time the flavorless wrapper was still bothering me. As I smoked farther the burn crept off to one side just at bit and it was leaving behind a tight light grey ash.
My Uzi Weighs a Ton Toro

Middle: As the burn neared the mid point a spash of back-of-the-tongue pepper appeared but then very quickly faded leaving the orginal flavor profile with a bit of earthiness added in.
I have read a few cigar reviews that used "barn yard" as an aroma. Since I have been around farms most of my life I didn't understand exactly what they meant, until now. The aroma profile had changed from that nice woody tobacco mix to smelling just like the scent radiating from a barn yard. At this point the burn was still off just a bit but it was smoking just fine and the flavor was truly a treat.
End: Coming down the stretch every thing was still going along very nicely. The strength had built from what I would say was medium to a nice full bodied cigar as the earthiness continued to build and giving me the flavor that I like so much from maduro's scalded mocha. But at about the 2 inch remaining mark, this cigar went South and it did it rather quickly. The wrapper spilt, then about a minute later the binder split along with it causing me to dump the rest of a fantastic cigar.
Overall: Except for the last two inches this had been on of the best if not the best cigar I had ever smoked. I think the flavor matches the Ave Maria Reconquista very closely, but it is stronger and the flavor is even a bit better than the Man O' War Armada. Throwing the last two inches away was a huge disappointment but I do have two more in the humidor to enjoy another day.

I have been talking about needing some type of ratings so I am starting one with this new blog.

Appearance and construction: 18
Flavor: 19
Smoking characteristics: 18
Overall experience: 17
Purchased Price: 17
Total: 91


To read all my reviews visit dangumm.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the