Skip to main content

Ave Maria Reconquista


Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Oscuro 
Filler: Nicaraguan 
Size:  Reconquista Torpedo 
Length: 7
Ring Gauge: 54 
Price: $5.83 Retail: $20.00  
Beverage: Diet Pepsi 
Smoking time: 1Hour 45 Min. 
Humidor time: 10 days 
Purchased: Cigars.com Heavy Hitters Double Stack sampler

Construction:
 Ever since this sampler arrived I have been going nuts to smoke this cigar. As I opened the individual cedar box and removed this stick from the cellophane the excitement built at steady pace, I think my heart was actually racing a bit. Once it was open and unwrapped only one word came to mind "perfection". The dark oily wrapper had only two super fine veins, there were no hard or soft spots to be found.


Pre-light: I have been reading about this cigar for quite some time and wondered if it could really live up to all the hype. Putting this cigar to my nose I soon found it all to be true. The cold aroma was chocolate with a hint of earth, spice and oak. The aroma from the foot had nearly the same flavor profile, but it also had a bit of sweet fruit like note added  in. Tasting the end cap was another plus for this stick, it too tasted like spicy chocolate.


First third: To remain pure while lighting this cigar I used two wooden matched, one to toast the foot and one to light it. From the first puff there was only one word to describe the flavor pouring from the end of this stick "delicious". The flavor mix was heavy to creamy chocolate along with hints of spice, leather and oak, even the smoke had notes of chocolate mixed with woody tobacco. This was simply the best tasting cigar I had ever smoked and I found it to be about mild/medium in body so far. I truly felt I was experiencing perfection.

Middle: As the burn neared the second third things began to go awry. The burn rather quickly started running down one side and the wrapper split and began peeling away. The burn eventually became so bad that I had to correct it but even that was short lived. On the plus side, the flavor profile hadn't really changed and this stick just flat out tasted fantastic.

End:
 The burn problems continued to plague this cigar and I ended up correcting it two more times but the wrapper problem did not get worse and I was able to smoke through it with no ill effects other than some mess from the ash. The flavor finished strong with the strength building to a solid medium body smoke and the flavor developed into the creamy scalded mocha that I enjoy so much.

Overall: Like I said in the beginning, this stick was delicious, there is no other word or words to describe the flavors. However, this stick was a pain to smoke because of the burn and wrapper  problems. I have one more and am curious to see how it performs. I am extremely happy though because I found all the hype about the flavor to be true, it was the best tasting smoke I have ever had! Due to the burn problems I am putting this cigar into the number three spot on the cheers list. If you ever try one of this I hope you get the same enjoyment from it I did.

Comments

  1. Good review. I have been wanting to buy this cigar for a while and your review pushed me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very interested to compare notes on this on once you try it.
    Thanks for your support Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've reviewed the Lionheart vitola of this cigar (basically box-pressed) and interestingly, I didn't have any burn problems. Let me know if you want to try the Lionheart and I'll send one your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one more Reconquista to smoke, but I am saving it for a couple weeks. I think/hope the burn was a fluke. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan - How do you recommend storing these? Should they be removed from their coffin or can the coffin be added to a personal humidor. The packaging is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have stored them both ways, it just depends how much room is in your humidor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the