Skip to main content

Rodrigo La Fortaleza Cinco 5 Toro

The Rodrigo La Fortaleza Cinco 5 Toro is the first Rodrigo cigar I have had the opportunity to smoke. Rodrigo Cigars are part of the House of Emilio cigar line up and I am pretty excited to give the La Fortaleza Cinco 5 a spin.

Quick Details
  • Cigar Size: 6 x 55 Toro
  • Origin:  Dominican Republic
  • Wrapper:  Dominican Oscuro
  • Binder:Dominican Republic
  • Filler: Dominican Republic
  • Price: $7.75
Rodrigo La Fortaleza Cinco 5
The La Fortaleza Cinco is a Dominican Puro with a dark Oscuro wrapper; oscuro wrappers are one of my personal favorites. Looking at the wrapper it looks, thick, meaty and tasty with a small amount of tooth and fairly smalls veins. Putting the cigar to my nose I could sense notes of spicy cedar and earth from the wrapper and the foot. Since this was a pigtail cigar I clipped the end instead of using a punch. The cold draw was firm, but not to tight and I could taste notes of mocha and cedar that lingered on my palate.

Once the La Fortaleza Cinco was toasted and burning, the first few draws had a nice flavor mix of chocolate, cedar and a hint of mild black pepper. After the first quarter of an inch the pepper disappeared completely. I also tested the flavor mix by retro hailing which  produced a nice flavor mix of earth and chocolate.

As the burn progressed up the cigar, the burn line became a bit jagged, but no where close to needing correction and left behind a firm looking white ash. At the one third mark the ash fell without any help. This stick also produced a high volume of smoke with a nice robust earthy aroma.

In the final third the flavor mix shifted slightly as the earthiness decreased and the coffee notes increased creating my favorite flavor mix of dark roasted mocha--or as I like to call it, burnt mocha
.
Overall this cigar didn't have a very complex flavor mix, but that's fine in my book, it was a total chocolate bomb! I look forward to smoking many more of these great tasting Rodrigo La Fortaleza Cinco 5 cigars. If you like this flavor mix like I do, I think you will really enjoy this cigar. I do believe will make  my top 10 list of cigars smoked this year.

Appearance and construction: 19
Flavor: 19.5
Smoking characteristics: 19
Overall experience: 19
Purchased Price: 18
Total: 94.5

For more coffee, cigar and pipe reviews visit dangumm.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the