Skip to main content

Carpe Noctem Toro: Pre Release from Emilio Cigars

When I first saw the name of this cigar, I thought to myself, "what kind of name is "Carpe Noctem" for a cigar?" So I typed it in Google and  found this definition at UrbanDictonary.com: "Seize the night. Get work done at night and sleep all day!" OK, so that's actually a pretty darn good name. Been there, done that for years.

According to Emilio Cigars, this pre release sample is fresh rolled with no aging. Hearing that leads me to believe that once it's released, the aged versions should be even better. Better? I thought this cigar already had already developed an amazing flavor profile.  The Carpe Noctem should be released at the IPCPR show this year and will be available in three vitolas: robusto, toro and 6.5 x 60, each with a price point under $10.00.

Well let's get on to the details so I can pass along some of my excitement over the new Carpe Noctem toro...

Quick Details
  • Cigar Size: 6 x 50 Toro
  • Wrapper:  Broadleaf
  • Binder: Nicaraguan
  • Filler: Nicaraguan
  • Cutting Method: Colibri V-Cutter
  • Paired with: Diet Pepsi
  • Price:  Under $10.00

Carpe Noctem toro
The construction of this Carpe Noctem toro was great, but let's talk about that later. The real excitement for me was the deep, rich, complex flavor mix I found in this cigar. My enjoyment started before even striking a match. I could smell the bold notes of fruit, perhaps plum, and a hint of chocolate from the foot while it was still a couple inches away from my nose. Surprisingly, the cold draw flavors were much different than I had expected, there were notes of toast and oak from the free draw instead of the fruit or chocolate found in the foot.

Once the cigar was burning the real fun began. Right out of the gate I could taste flavors of cocoa, fruit and rich tobacco, plus the wrapper left a pronounced semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste on my lips. In my notes I wrote, "absolutely delicious". As I smoked on, the flavors changed at a fast and furious pace, there one puff, gone the next, then back again. I found other flavor nuances of oak, leather, charcoal, cream, coffee, anise, berries, dried fruit, oat straw, a bit of green hay and some flora. When I hit the two puffs of hay, it tasted green and for some reason I thought to myself that the hay will go away in the aged cigars. Only time will tell about that. I always look forward to the final third in a maduro cigar hoping to find my favorite flavor of burnt mocha and this cigar didn't disappoint me at all. The burnt mocha flavor mix boldly showed up just as the burn moved into the final third. I'd planned on smoking this stick to a lip burning nub, but in the last inch, bold, hot, red pepper developed so I stopped right there. Again I think that the pepper will disappear with ageing just like the green hay.

Now we can talk about construction. The wrapper had a nice sandpaper like toothy appearance and feel, it was nearly vein free and the seams were tight, so tight they were nearly invisible. Feeling down the body there were no hard or soft patches and the cigar was firmly packed. In fact the cigar was packed so well it gave me a full 80 minutes of that great flavor mix. That's about 20 minutes more than I get out of an average toro.

Overall the Carpe Noctem was a fantastic cigar and now I wait and wonder. I'm anxiously waiting for release of this fine cigar and at the same time wondering if I could possibly be my cigar of the year. Yes I thought it was that good!

I'd like to thank Emilio Cigars and House of Emilio for giving me the opportunity to smoke and review this great cigar! Thank you!

 Ratings:
  • Appearance and construction: 19
  • Flavor: 20
  • Smoking characteristics: 19
  • Overall experience: 19
  • Purchased Price: 18
  • Total: 95

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the