Skip to main content

Grimalkin Robusto by Emilio Cigars

This cigar was reviewed on dangumm.com all most three years ago to the day. For some reason it didn't get published here. So today I am fixing that. Why? Well Cigar Federation announced today they found some Grimalkins from Emilio Cigars stashed away and this was one of the most memorable cigars I've ever smoked. Had the first cigar smoke for the review  not had a tight draw, this cigar would have earned a 96 or 97 rating. It's that good...
****
For this review I strayed away from the norm of smoking only one cigar and then writing the review based on that experience. The first stick had the same complex flavor profile, which you will learn about below, but the draw was so tight it took nearly all my might just to get a puff through it. So in the name of fairness I smoked the other cigar I was saving for a special occasion.

Construction: As I examined this cigar the construction is striking; the wrapper that has a nice oily sheen is nearly perfect with only one fine vein and seams that are almost invisible. The cigar is firm, but not to hard and the band is truly unique: actually seeing a picture of this cigar's band is what lead me on the quest to try this brand.

Pre-light: There is not much of a cold aroma from the wrapper, but the foot is a different story. The aroma from the foot has mixed notes of fresh cut flowers and sweet fruit. The cold draw on this cigar was perfect with a cold flavor mixture of spicy cedar and fruit. When I tasted the wrapper I'm rewarded with a nice sweet cream and almond flavor mix.

First third: To remain true I used a match to toast the foot and light this cigar. The first few puffs were a mild mix of earth and spicy cedar, there's no pepper, bite or bitterness at all and the aroma from the fair amount of white smoke carries a hint of vanilla that is almost like a mild pipe tobacco scent. At about the one inch mark the earthiness fades and is replaced by a nice mix of coffee and toasted nuts. I elected to knock the light/dark grey striped ash at the one and a half inch mark, but it was firm and would have held on longer.

Middle: Nearing the mid point the burn is still razor sharp and the draw on this cigar is perfect. The flavor mix held sold for a bit but now is shifting to more of a sweet, nutty, tobacco mixture of flavors and the body has now moved up into the medium range.

End: As this cigar burned down to the end, the flavors were shifting with nearly every puff; fruit, nuts, coffee, earth, leather, toast and cedar all entered into the mix at one time or another and the wrapper developed more sweetness as time went by.

Overall: This is the type of cigar I want at the end of a rough day when I sit down with a brandy to decompress. With no bitterness and no bite present anywhere in this cigar you would be hard pressed to find a smoother smoking stick. I will be adding a few more of these to my humidor for those days when you want nothing but to relax.

Rated 94

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the