Skip to main content

Gurkha Trident Robusto

I have to admit that I have a hard time passing up Gurkha's because of their great band art and in doing so I've discovered some pretty good sticks.

Quick Details
  • Cigar Size: 5  x 52 Robusto
  • Wrapper:  Havana Oscuro
  • Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican
  • Cutting Method: Xikar guillotine
  • Smoking time: 45 minutes
  • Paired with: Diet Pepsi
  • Price: $5.99 purchased at Cigar Train

Gurkha Trident Robusto CigarI guess the first thing to mention about the Gurkha Trident is the lack of credible information about the cigar. There is nothing about this stick on the Gurkha web site and the big online dealers list the wrapper in one place as Connecticut Broad leaf Maduro, and on the same page as Havana Oscuro. The wrapper itself is pretty dark so I am going with Oscuro on this one.

Construction wise, this cigar is sharp. It has a nice band that contrasts well against the dark, oily, seamless Oscuro wrapper. Looking for veins in the wrapper, you have to look close to find any, it's that nice. Testing the foot for cold aromas there are strong notes of semi-sweet chocolate and once the cap was clipped the free cold draw contained the same flavor nuances.

The foot toasted with ease and the first few draws were almost straight cocoa. As the razor sharp burn progressed up the cigar's body there were other flavor notes of cocoa, toast, hay, wheat, peat earth and molasses. I wouldn't call this medium/full bodied cigar complex in the flavor mix department, but it was tasty.

There were a couple of other points worth mentioning. This cigar produced loads of smoke, more than other any cigar that I have recently encountered.  The smoke brought one word to mind, chewy. It felt in my mouth as dense chewy smoke. In fact, one note I made near then end I called this cigar, meaty. I guess that would have to be my overall impression of the Trident, it was meaty and chewy. I hope that makes sense.

Overall the flavor mix was not what I expected, nor was the finish. From a cigar with a Oscuro or maduro wrapped cigar I like to them to finish with my favorite burnt mocha flavors and the trident didn't. Don't get me wrong, just because the flavor mix wasn't what I expected, it wasn't a bad cigar. Actually it was pretty darn good and I will be picking up more as time allows.

Total: 92


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the