Skip to main content

Remove Scale From A Tea Kettle

Remove Scale From A Tea KettleI'm sure there are hundreds of articles already posted on the topic "how to remove scale from a tea kettle", but this is my quick and easy trick to make my tea kettle shine like new.
I've been using the same stove-top stainless steel tea kettle for tea and pour-overs the past two years. About two months ago I noticed there was a thick, ugly, gross looking, layer of light gray scale crusted to the bottom of my kettle. I'm not sure if this had a negative effect on the taste of coffee and tea, but it looked terrible. I want my coffee and tea reviews untainted by bad water so I began searching the web for a cure.

After an hour or so of searching are reading, a plan came together. I poured about 2 cups of vinegar into the cold and empty kettle and let it stand for around 30 minutes. After 30 had passed, I filled the kettle with cold water, turned the burner on high and let it boil away for a good ten minutes. Once it was done boiling I poured out the gray brackish water, removed the the cover and tentatively peered inside. To my surprise, the scale was completely gone and the bottom had the nice shiny glow of a brand new tea kettle. Truth be told it was probably cleaner now than when it came from the original box. I did give it a cold water rinse and another boil to remove all traces of the vinegar.

To keep it shining like new, just add 1/2 cup of vinegar to half a pot of water and give it a quick boil every couple of weeks. It works for me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Camacho Facebook Post

I was truly humbled to see this  Camacho Cigars  Facebook post yesterday. Thank you!

Eight O'Clock Coffee The Original

This sample of Eight O'Clock Coffee , "The Original", came right off the supermarket shelf the other day. It's a medium roast blend that included a large volume of broken and partial beans. Actually, I was surprised by the volume of broken beans as I poured each sample into the grinder. When the bag was opened, to the nose there were rich aromas of toast and coffee, while the pour-over aromas were a mix of cocoa and warm bread. I brewed and sampled four cups of The Original to be sure of my tasting notes. On the Eight O'Clock web site they list this coffee as "sweet, fruity and well balanced." Like most other coffee reviews that's not exactly what I found. In my samples there were semi-sweet flavors of toast, nuts and earth, with a hint of cocoa as the coffee cooled. I found the coffee clean and well balanced with a medium bodied, slightly dry mouth feel. Overall, The Original, from Eight O'Clock coffee brewed a flavorful rewarding cup

Tryst No. 2 Robusto Brandy E-Cigar

Featuring e-juice made in the USA, these  Tryst  e-cigars are a pretty sweet deal. The No. 2 Robusto Brandy is another great example of a cigarette alternative that give me cigar-like satisfaction indoors or wherever I can't smoke a real cigar. Like the last Tryst reviews, I've been puffing on the No. 2 the past two days while writing. Other than its brandy flavor, this Brandy model is just like the the other No. 2's. The tapered head makes it easy to hold hands-free between your teeth, the wrapper is durable showing no signs of wear, it produces a large volume of vapor and the brandy flavored e-juice tastes fantastic.  You probably know I'm not much of a flavored cigar person, but these American made e-juices from Tryst have fantastic flavor, this brandy is really close to tasting like brandy. I've tried other flavored e-cigarette products in the past and the flavors don't compare at all to the Tryst e-cigar flavors. Add together the great taste, the